CHARLESTON, W.Va. – West Virginia Lottery Director John C. Musgrave introduced West Virginia’s latest millionaire at a press conference at Lottery Headquarters in Charleston, Friday. Terry Brumfield of Harts claimed a $1 million Powerball® prize for matching five numbers from Wednesday night’s drawing.
Brumfield, 65, purchased the lucky ticket at the Little General #4035 on McClellan Highway in Harts.
“I have played the lottery a long time and I figured one of these days I might get my share of something big,” Brumfield said. “I couldn’t believe it. I knew I had won at 11 p.m. and I just went to bed with the ticket in my pocket. I had worked all day. When I woke up my wife asked if I had bought any tickets at the Little General and if I had checked mine. I said yes and yes. She then said well the news says that someone one a million dollars. That’s when I said to her – Yes, me.”
Brumfield, who works as a contractor with his brother, is the sixth West Virginia Lottery player to win a prize of $1 million or more this calendar year (2012) from Multi-State jackpot games – Powerball® and Mega Millions®. This marks the highest number of $1 million or more annual wins in West Virginia Lottery history. He left Lottery Headquarters on Friday to return to work.
“I am going to keep working, in fact when I leave here I am going to work,” Brumfield said.
He is the fourth West Virginia player to ‘Match Five’ playing Powerball® this year. John Robinson of Beckley was the last person to win $1 million with Match 5 on June 4, 2012. The winner will also join Michael Shaver and Ronald Simmons who shared a $14 million Powerball prize when they matched five numbers with the Power Play® option seven times on March 5, 2012.
Brumfield is the 52nd person to win or share a prize of $1 million or more in the West Virginia Lottery’s history (since 1986).
Since Powerball® began in 1992, West Virginia players have won a total of more than $524 million in prizes from the Powerball® game alone.
• Jan. 6, 2012: John Wiles, Tunnelton, W.Va., won a $1 million Mega Millions prize for matching five numbers with the Megaplier option.
• March 5, 2012: Michael Shaver and Ronald Simmons, both Vietnam Veterans from Weston, W.Va., shared $14 million in winnings from Powerball for matching five numbers with the Power Play option seven times in the same drawing.
• March 29, 2012: Judy Price, Fairview, W.Va., won $1 million from Mega Millions by matching 5 numbers with the Megaplier option.
• June 4, 2012: John Robinson, Beckley, W.Va., won $1 million from Powerball with Match 5.
• Dec. 21, 2012: Terry Brumfield, wins $1 million from Powerball with Match 5.